When to seek help?
If you, a friend, or someone you love might be struggling with an emotional or substance abuse problem, help is just a phone call away.
If any of the behaviors below are effecting you or a loved one at work, home or school, a phone call is the first step toward healing.
Mood Disorders (depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder)
Aggressive /threatening behaviors
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Schizophrenia, delusions, hallucinations
Please call our Intake & Referral clinicians at 210-541-5350 for a free, confidential assessment. 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays.
What is an assessment?
At San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, our goal during the assessment process is for everyone to feel comfortable and informed. A licensed Intake & Referral clinician will ask about current concerns as well as past medical and psychiatric history. If applicable, any drug and/or alcohol abuse will be addressed. An assessment allows us to efficiently and effectively evaluate current symptoms so that we may identify a program and referral which best meet the needs. A family member or friend may be present during the assessment process, as this may be helpful for assistance and support.
This assessment is not a psychiatric evaluation. Rather, it is to determine whether a hospital stay or some other type of service would be beneficial. Once the assessment is complete, our Intake & Referral clinician will discuss the recommendation and then make a determination
Please bring the following information to expedite the assessment process:
- All mental health concerns
- Medical condition information
- Demographics (address, phone)
- Driver’s License/Identification Card
- Insurance Information
- Custody, Guardianship paperwork if applicable.
The time frame for an assessment varies, depending on the unique situation. In most situations, an assessment should take 30-45 minutes. If it is determined that hospitalization is the best course of treatment, two hours or less for the admission process should be expected.
Will Insurance Pay for Treatment?
San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital contracts with a variety of insurance companies and third-party providers. For more information about managed care agreements or other financial arrangements, please call our intake department at 210-541-5300.
Who can refer patients to San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital?
- Family members or friends of a patient
- Emergency rooms/medical-surgical hospitals
- Mental Health Crisis Teams
- Family Practice/Internal Medicine/Pediatric Physicians
- The person seeking help may also call
What to bring?
It is our goal to provide the highest quality of healthcare to our patients. In order to do so, we have established some important guidelines to prepare for your stay.
- Please bring no more than 5 days’ worth of casual clothing for your inpatient stay. We have a no-cost laundry room onsite.
- It is requested that a patient bring all clothing items in 1 suitcase.
- Please notify hospital of sleep-related needs, such as C-PAP, oxygen, elevation of the head of the bed, egg crate or air mattress, incontinence supplies, etc., before admission.
- Please bring guardianship/custody/foster care placement paperwork, if applicable.
Items Not Allowed
For the safety of our patients and staff, the following items are not permitted on the inpatient areas at San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital:
- Electronic items (cell phones, IPODS, video games)
- All prescription medications/herbal supplements. The Facility will provide medication.
- Jewelry (wedding rings are allowed)
- Any glass & metal objects (including underwire bras)
- Scarves, belts, shoe strings, and draw-strings
- Flammable items (matches, lighters—Staff will light cigarettes during break times.)
- Drugs & alcohol
- Mouthwash, hairspray, nail polish remover, aerosol sprays (Basic toiletries will be provided by the facility.)
- Stuffed animals, blankets and pillows from home, and hoodie sweatshirts
- Clothing items with a negative/offensive message or revealing clothing
- A more detailed list is available upon admission.